Sunday, October 28, 2007

WOW

So yesterday one of our neighbors came over to talk to Corey. We all stood there at the front door talking for a few minutes. Most of the time Corey was standing right in front of me and I was just peeking over his shoulder.

So, during the convo Corey steps aside (and I come into full view) and this neighbor takes one look at me and says, "Wow! You're looking...{pause}...wow!"

My response: "Yeah, I'm starting to get big huh"
He says: "You REALLY are starting to get big"

At this point I proceed with what we were talking about previous to him losing all tact and then, minutes later, he departs.

When I go back in the house, I start thinking. What makes people think that they can tell a pregnant woman that she is looking fat? Just because I am supposed to be getting fatter doesn't mean I need someone to point out just HOW fat I am looking. You wouldn't walk up to some non-prego friend of yours and say, "Gee, it looks like you've put on twenty pounds or so" so why do it to the pregnant women.

So here are the rules: Only two people have permission tell me just how large I am looking:
1. My husband. and this is only because if he did tell me this he would probably preface it with, "can I tell you something and you won't get mad"
2. Other pregnant women...preferably those who are farther along/larger than I am. Once they have their babies and I am still getting fatter, they can no longer comment.

So, take note, cause the next time someone (someone who doesn't meet the above criteria) tells me that I look big I may not be able to hold back a comment like, "did you really just say that to me?"

1 comment:

Vanessa Jane said...

oh erin! I totally have been there:). How bout the story of jeff p. seeing me in costco and looking at me in pure shock, saying you're huge! at least it is all temporary, right. I am starting to really poke out right now. hey and remember this, at least you will have a healthy and happy baby, the sacrifice we make! just hang in there.